Mississippi health system shuts down clinics statewide after ransomware attack

The University of Mississippi Medical Center has closed all of its clinics in the state in response to a ransomware attack that impacted its phone and electronic systems, disrupting patient care. The attack was launched on Thursday, compromising the medical center’s systems, including its electronic health records platform Epic and its IT network. It’s unclear how long the effects of the attack would last or whether patient information had been compromised. UMMC vice chancellor for health affairs LouAnn Woodward said in a Friday statement that the university was working with law enforcement, including the FBI, to resolve the system outage. Out of an abundance of caution, she said, UMMC had taken all systems offline until they could test and confirm that they were safe to use. “To use a medical phrase we have stopped the bleeding,” Woodward said. “And while we know much more now than we did 24 hours ago, the extent and the scope of the intrusion is still not fully understood.” UMMC hospitals and emergency departments are still operational. Hospital officials halted care at the center’s total 35 clinics in the state. Appointments, including chemotherapy and elective procedures, were canceled as of Friday. Patients can reschedule appointments, Woodward said, adding that the medical center was working to prioritize the continuation of ongoing, time-sensitive care. For ongoing patient care, staff were employing paper documentation rather than electronic. “I can’t tell you when but I can promise as soon as we possibly can we will be back up and running full steam ahead,” Woodward said. “The bad guys won’t keep us down.” Woodward said at a Thursday press conference that the attackers had communicated with hospital officials and that it was working with law enforcement and cybersecurity specialists on next steps. Robert Eikhoff, the FBI special agent in charge of the Jackson, Miss., field office said the agency’s priority is helping the medical center get its systems back up and running to restore care to patients. “We are in the process of surging resources, both locally and nationally, into this incident to make sure that we are standing alongside with UMMC and their vendors as we look to understand the extent of this attack,” he said.
https://www.npr.org/2026/02/21/nx-s1-5721746/mississippi-health-system-ransomware-attack

Bodies of all 9 missing skiers in deadly California avalanche have been recovered, authorities say

TRUCKEE, Calif Crews recovered the bodies of nine backcountry skiers who were killed in a California avalanche four days ago, authorities said Saturday, concluding a harrowing operation hindered by intense snowfall. A search team reached the bodies of eight victims and found one other who had been missing and presumed dead since Tuesday’s avalanche on Castle Peak near Lake Tahoe. The ninth person who was missing was found “relatively close” to the other victims, but it was impossible to see them because there were white-out conditions on Tuesday when the others were located. The recovery efforts had been put on hold for several days because of heavy snow and the threat of more avalanches. Helicopters with the California National Guard and California Highway Patrol recovered the bodies on Saturday morning by hoisting them from the mountain and bringing them to nearby snowcats trucks outfitted for transportation on the snow. Officials said on Friday that they were using water to break up the snow in the area as avalanche mitigation work, a technique that is designed to intentionally release unstable snowpack to reduce the risk when rescue crews go in. The mitigation and search efforts have included California Highway Patrol air operations, Nevada County Sheriff’s search and rescue, Tahoe Nordic search and rescue, the utility company Pacific Gas & Electric, the Sierra avalanche center and others. Victims Carrie Atkin Truckee-Tahoe area Danielle Keatley Marin County, CA Kate Morse Marin County, CA Kate Vitt Marin County, CA Caroline Sekar San Francisco, CA Liz Clabaugh Boise, ID The three remaining victims were identified on Saturday. All were professional guides. Andrew Alissandratos Nevada Nicole Chu South Lake Tahoe Michael Henry-Tampa, FL KGO-TV/ABC7 Eyewitness News contributed to this report.
https://abc30.com/post/9-bodies-missing-skiers-deadly-california-avalanche-have-been-recovered-authorities-say/18631146/

What the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down tariffs means for L.A.’s trade-dependent economy

The Supreme Court’s decision Friday to strike down the majority of tariffs imposed by President Trump could provide some relief to L. A.’s trade-reliant economy but only if they are not reimposed again through other means. The court’s 6-3 ruling that Trump didn’t have the authority to impose tariffs under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act rolled back levies that have upended international trade. “We’ve seen that the tariffs have a significant impact on our supply chain, on our manufacturers and especially on our port logistics and trade sector,” said Stephen Cheung, chief executive of the nonprofit Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. “I think this decision will have a significant impact on the Los Angeles economy. However, it’s going to take a long time to unravel, so we’ll see specifically how everything is going to pan out,” he said. The tariffs dealt a blow to a large swath of businesses in Southern California and across the state, including farmers, automakers, home builders, tech companies and apparel retailers. MGA Entertainment, the Chatsworth maker of Bratz dolls, said a little more than half of its products are made in China, while hardware and lumber seller Anawalt in Malibu said the majority of its lumber comes from Canada and nearly all of its steel products are made in China. During a news conference Friday following the decision, Trump said that under other legal authorities he will impose a 10% global tariff and pursue additional levies, including a possible 30% tariff on foreign cars. “The Supreme Court’s ruling on tariffs is deeply disappointing, and I’m ashamed of certain members of the court absolutely ashamed,” Trump said. “They’re very unpatriotic and disloyal to our Constitution.” Friday’s high-court decision affects up to $170 billion in tariffs collected under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977, including 10% to 50% duties and penalties on China, Canada and Mexico. Whether importers who paid the tax can seek refunds was left to a lower court to decide. It’s estimated some $100 billion in tariffs were not affected by the decision. The ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach which handle nearly a third of the nation’s containerized cargo and are the primary trade gateway to Asia saw a surge of traffic the first half of last year as importers sought to get ahead of the tariffs, largely imposed in April. However, traffic tailed off the second half of the year, with the L. A. port expecting a single-digit decline in volume this year before Friday’s decision. The twin facilities form the largest ports complex in North America, supporting more than 200, 000 jobs and contributing $28 billion to the regional economy in 2022, according to a California Center for Jobs & the Economy report. The uncertainty surrounding the tariffs derives from the complexity of the tariffs themselves as well as the other legal options Trump has to impose them again. Mike Jacob, president of the Pacific Merchant Shipping Assn., which represents ocean carriers, marine terminal operators and others in the industry, said the tendency is to think of the tariffs as uniform. “It was different rates for different countries. That was compounded by different rates for different commodities. And there’s a lot of changes that have occurred with specific commodities,” he said. “So it’s almost impossible to take a broad brush and say, here’s what we expect to happen except to say that it’s still a pretty unsettled space.” In seeking to impose a 10% global tariff, Trump would be relying on a provision of the Trade Act of 1974, while his ability to pursue additional levies would rely on other sections of that act and another law. Economist Jock O’Connell, international trade advisor at L. A.’s Beacon Economics, said that Trump may have authority to impose the 10% global tariffs, but additional levies would involve trade authorities. “That would be a cumbersome process. The tariffs have to be more specifically framed and the subject of an investigation,” he said. Also complicating the process are trade deals the U. S. has been negotiating with foreign countries based on the tariffs. O’Connell expects they will seek to renegotiate them. “They’re likely to come back to the table and say, ‘Well, you don’t have the authority to impose these,’” he said. Gene Seroka, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, said importers are facing tough decisions right now, given that any ocean carrier leaving an Asian port today would not be subject to the tariffs that were struck down. “That executive is asking: ‘Are my commodities now exempt from this tariff?’ If the answer is yes, ‘Can I buy more of that product and get it shipped while there are no tariffs?’” he said. Those decisions would revolve around such factors as the availability of space on the vessel and local warehouses, as well as trucking services, he said. Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, said the decision should be good news for the larger U. S. economy and businesses on the “front line” of the trade wars, such as transportation, distribution, agriculture and retail. “If the president lets the Supreme Court decision stand and doesn’t try to replace the tariffs, that’s a plus for the economy but that’s not what’s going to happen,” he said.
https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2026-02-20/what-supreme-courts-decision-to-strike-down-tariffs-means-for-l-a-s-trade-dependent-economy

Chicago police searching for suspect in attempted sexual assault on Northwest Side

CHICAGO (WLS) — Chicago police are seeking to identify a man wanted in connection with an attempted sexual assault on the city’s Northwest Side. ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch The crime happened around 3: 54 p. m. Feb. 6 in the 2000 block of West North Avenue, CPD said. Police said the victim was walking into work when a man threw her to the ground and pinned her down. Two people walking by intervened. No further information was available as Chicago police continue to investigate.
https://abc7chicago.com/post/chicago-crime-police-searching-suspect-attempted-sexual-assault-west-north-avenue-northwest-side/18626889/

Trump striking Iran is “certainly a possibility,” former CIA officer says

Elliot Ackerman, CBS News contributor and former CIA officer, joins “The Daily Report” to discuss President Trump building up a massive military presence in the Middle East amid nuclear talks with Iran.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/trump-striking-iran-certainly-possibility-former-cia-officer-says/

NASA’s new head criticizes Boeing, NASA for botched Starliner flight that left 2 astronauts stuck

NASA’s new boss blasted both Boeing and his own space agency for the botched Starliner flight that left two astronauts stuck in space for months.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/nasas-new-head-criticizes-boeing-nasa-botched-starliner-flight-left-2-astonauts-stuck/

Agencies like FEMA, TSA could be strained if partial shutdown continues

Wednesday marked day five of a partial government shutdown with no end in sight. Lawmakers have failed to reach an agreement on funding the Department of Homeland Security. CBS News congressional correspondent Nikole Killion has more.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/if-partial-shutdown-continues-other-agencies-like-fema-tsa-could-be-strained/

CBS’s Bari Weiss pulls out of UCLA lecture

UCLA has canceled an upcoming lecture featuring CBS News chief Bari Weiss. Weiss was scheduled to give the annual Daniel Pearl Memorial lecture on Feb. 27, about “The Future of Journalism.” But according to the university, the program will not move forward as scheduled, after Weiss’ team withdrew from the event. A source familiar with the UCLA program said the lecture was canceled due to security concerns from Weiss, despite the public university offering to obtain additional security for the event, the source said. The Daniel Pearl Memorial lecture series honors the late journalist and is considered the capstone of the university’s Burkle Center for International Relations. Previous speakers include journalists Jake Tapper, Anderson Cooper and Bob Woodward. According to the source, several employees at both the Burkle Center and the International Institute expressed opposition to Weiss speaking on campus. The university was also expecting a large number of students to protest the event. Neither Weiss nor CBS immediately responded to a request for comment. Weiss founded the media company, The Free Press, which was purchased in October by Paramount, CBS’ parent company. Following the $150 million purchase, Weiss was installed as editor-in-chief of CBS News. Two months after taking on the new role, Weiss made the widely panned decision to pull a “60 Minutes” episode that examined the alleged abuse of deportees sent from the U. S. to an El Salvador prison. The decision earned Weiss heavy criticism and accusations that the move was politically motivated.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2026-02-18/cbss-bari-weiss-pulls-out-of-ucla-lecture

Jesse Jackson’s death “leaves a big, big hole in the world,” social justice scholar says

Rev. Jesse Jackson’s family announced Tuesday that the civil rights icon died peacefully at 84 years old. For more than six decades, Jackson spent his life working to advance civil rights and advocating for the interests of working-class people of all colors. Obery Hendricks, sadjunct professor at Columbia University, joins “The Daily Report” to discuss his life and legacy.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/jesse-jacksons-death-leaves-a-big-big-hole-in-the-world-social-justice-scholar-says/

Inventor of “signal sniffer” discusses its use in the Nancy Guthrie search

Investigators in Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance are using a device called a “signal sniffer” to try to detect transmissions from her pacemaker. David Kennedy, former NSA hacker and inventor of the pacemaker signal detector, joins CBS News to discuss his work with law enforcement in the search.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/pacemaker-signal-detectors-inventor-discusses-its-use-in-the-nancy-guthrie-search/

Exit mobile version
Sitemap Index